3D Printing

Out of free material.

• 22 Mar 2012 8:45 AM
    Message # 865992
    Anonymous
    I just called to make a reservation on the 3D printer and was told they are all out the free plastic that came with the machine. I'm really surprised. I riffled through their stock a few days ago and saw at least two cartridges still in the sealed packages. Did someone just print for a day and a half non-stop?
  • 22 Mar 2012 1:23 PM
    Reply # 866227 on 865992
    Anonymous
    I was in there Monday and the guy thats printing this u shaped tube had bought some new material. It was expensive. Well this might be good news, because now if you buy some material, you can use the printer, unless that guy is printing. I forgot his name, I talked to him for awhile.
  • 22 Mar 2012 3:24 PM
    Reply # 866304 on 866227
    Anonymous
    CASEY VAN TIEGHEM wrote:I was in there Monday and the guy thats printing this u shaped tube had bought some new material. It was expensive. Well this might be good news, because now if you buy some material, you can use the printer, unless that guy is printing. I forgot his name, I talked to him for awhile.

I am really bad with names but I think that's Ron that made the tube. He brought in his own material.

Well, now that all the free stuff is gone it might be easier to get time on the machine.

They are selling off prints by the cubic inch at $6. It's fairly cheap for small parts. But impractical for me to continue building the 3D printer that I can make from their machine.

I'll just use my own Reprap printer to make the rest of the parts and eventually there will be a cheaper more open alternative to the Dimension Printer.

I will be there tonight right after work and might stay until 7pm or so, if anyone wants to talk shop.

• 23 Mar 2012 2:01 PM
    Reply # 867037 on 865992
    Anonymous
    I was there when the free material ran out.  I was printing a part that needed about .5 cubic inches to print and the display said that there was still 2% in the cartridge but, at some point, the printer just started printing air...

I went through all the cartridges stacked up next to the machine, but found that all of them displayed as empty when inserted into the machine.  There were two boxes marked "new", but these contained support material, not build material.

I did find it interesting that the printer could not detect that it was physically out of material but, instead, seems to rely on an estimate linked to the metering chip in the cartridge.

However, I'm happy to start paying for material in order to have a reliable supply available.

Wayne
  • 25 Mar 2012 7:26 AM
    Reply # 867905 on 865992
    Anonymous
    Make sure you check at the front desk.  A couple of the cartridges looked like they still had material (green, white, black) but when I inserted them, it said they were out of material.  It took me 1/2 hour to figure out they were really out of material in those cartridges.
  • 28 Mar 2012 3:44 PM
    Reply # 871133 on 865992
    Anonymous

John,

I found something interesting on a website called kickstarter. There is this 3D printer called Printrbot that the designer claims you can assemble in 2 hours.

Check out printerbot dot com.

• 28 Mar 2012 4:57 PM
    Reply # 871198 on 865992
    Anonymous
    Hey all,

Yes, it was me, Ron, printing the U shaped product. I bought my own material and support material from TekPro. Each cartridge was $250 for 56 cubic inches. So with shipping, etc, $6/cubic inch is about what you would pay if you buy your own. Unless you are printing a lot, probably no reason to buy your own. 

MakerPlace
619.225.7288    info@makerplace.com
1022 W. Morena Blvd. Ste. H  San Diego, Ca 92110